St. Johnís Mothersí Union held its first meeting in 1897, twenty one years after Mary Sumner started the organisation at her home, the Rectory in Old Arlesford. Today there are members in 78 countries around the world.
St John's Mothers' Union continues to be an active branch. Meetings are held regularly and consist of a mixture of sacred and secular. A Corporate Communion takes place every three months and the Prayer Group meets every month for intercessory prayer. In July the branch takes its turn in the Mothersí Union worldwide Wave of Prayer.
Our lunch group MUGS (Mothersí Union Gourmet Society) meets occasionally to visit some of the local restaurants and our evening meeting speakers cover a wide range of topics.
Members have made many knitted blankets which have been sent to Romania, supported the work of Angel Tree which supplies Christmas gifts to the children of prisoners and sent bibles to the Mothersí Union work in prisons.
Within our congregation we give a small cross and card to baptism candidates and make the Christingles for the Christmas Eve childrenís service.
Everyone is very welcome to our meetings.